• nihilator40

Board Meeting July 12, 2022


The meeting was called to order by president, Scott Woogen at 6:10 p.m.


ROLL CALL: Those present by phone were: Scott Woogen, Anne McDonald, Charles Robbins, Billy Carter, Stacey McLenghan, Jan Nofsinger, Randy Jackson and Debbie Warnick. A quorum was declared.


MEETING MINUTES: The minutes from the meeting held on February 7, 2022 were reviewed and approved as written.


TREASURER’S REPORT: The treasurer’s report for June 2022 was reviewed.


OLD BUSINESS:

There was no old business to be discussed at this meeting


NEW BUSINESS:


Item 1. Fair race purses

After discussion about the purses for this year’s fair meet, it was moved by Betsy and seconded by Jan that the purse structure remain the same as last year with purses of $16,000 per day for each of the four days of the race meet. The motion carried unanimously.


Item 2. 2022 Race meet purses

After discussion about the purses for this year’s race meet, it was moved by Charlie and seconded by Betsy that the purse structure remain the same as last year with total overnight purses of $1,125,000. Breeders fund purses will remain at $8,000 for eliminations/prep races, $80,000 for finals and $20,000 for Aged races. The motion carried unanimously. The fifty percent bonus for Virginia horses, owners and trainers will also remain the same.


Item 3. Three year old and Aged breeders races

The potential problem of racing all the Breeders fund races in the fall once the new Sired Stakes races start was discussed. It was agreed that we may have to move the three year old and Aged Breeders races to the spring meet. This item was tabled until a later meeting.


Item 4. Spring meet

Debbie reported that there will be a conflict with the Gold Cup again during the spring meet and next year’s fall meet. Dave Lermond has asked how we plan to deal with the problem. It was agreed that we need to pressure the VRC to hire more staff so that the conflict is resolved.


Item 5. VEA Lobbyists

It was agreed that we need to get the VEA lobbyists to be more pro active with helping promote harness racing. Debbie will work with Jeb to set up a meeting with all the lobbyists, Scott and Charlie.


As there was no further business to be discussed, Scott Woogen adjourned the meeting at 7:20 p.m.


Respectfully submitted,



Debbie Warnick

Executive Director

42 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Virginia Harness Horseman Association Board of Directors Meeting Minutes November 1, 2021 The meeting was called to order by vice president, Charlie Robbins at 6:10 p.m. ROLL CALL: Those present by p

Virginia Harness Horseman Association Board of Directors Meeting Minutes October 26, 2021 The meeting was called to order by president, Scott Woogen at 6:15 p.m. ROLL CALL: Those present by ohone wer

Virginia Harness Horseman Association Board of Directors Meeting Minutes September 7, 2021 The meeting was called to order by president, Scott Woogen at 6:10 p.m. ROLL CALL: Those present by phone we